Setting up a real network

Home Forums PC Talk PC Talk/Mods Setting up a real network

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

I started the beginning of setting up a 'real' home network today. Actually, an electrical contractor got it started, by running CAT5 to the various rooms in the house. Or perhaps it really started when the HVAC company removed the old furnace from my attic space that will be an excellent home for my new W2K3 Active Directory Server and a Joint Ops XP server.

But my wife informed me that I'd better get working on her 2nd SageTV computer for the bedroom. (SageTV is a software program that mimics TiVo without any monthly fee).

With those three proposed systems built, that will bring my household up to a total of 5 workstations and the server. But I had all three non-master-bedrooms hardwired for network, so there's room for two more workstations in the kids' rooms, if they can show enough responsibility to reject MySpace and embrace Firefox.

:comp

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

Sounds like a great start! Keep us posted on the progress! :kudo

GARGOYLE-UR
    Keymaster
    WILEY COYOTE-UR @ Apr 12 2008, 06:52 PM wrote:
    …so there's room for two more workstations in the kids' rooms, if they can show enough responsibility to reject MySpace and embrace Firefox.

:comp

:lol
    Yeah, like thats going to happen.

Network sounds good. Just have to make sure no one else is on-line on Thursdays.

GHILLIE-UR
    Keymaster

I have never had any latency issues on Thursdays. All of us pounding away on Ghillie School and Mrs Ghillie surfing the net and never any complaints.

Of course it helps I have the 1MB up and 12 MB down connection.

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

True, My wife is generally on her laptop when I play and no worries :true

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

Wiley, you could fly shok out and have him set it up for you! room and board and pocket change, enough to afford his Focus. :comp

You would have a in-home geek squad :kudo

GHILLIE-UR
    Keymaster
    SHOKTRONIC-UR @ Apr 13 2008, 11:18 PM wrote:
    Would a basic server setup work or are you trying to be controlling like Ghillie? ;)

I think I've just been dissed. :(

Anonymous

Not dissed, making a joke at the controll thing because you guys work together. Not making any comments about your home setup. Look at it as me saying Wiley is trying to play “house” and be a grown up ;)

GHILLIE-UR
    Keymaster

Just joking

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

It's actually a space where my furnace used to be. Between the drywall ceiling, and the insulation layer. It won't be crisper cool, but I don't think it will be a huge problem. And there's options for vents if it comes to that. There's no room in the garage, nor good location for networking.

Access is via ladder and ceiling pop-out panel, but I plan on using RDP for the majority of my maintenance issues. Both machines are hardy HP servers, and will not likely need much hardware attention.

As for the hardwiring, that's because the construction of my house, and layout means that the existing wireless G I have is worth crap through a wall. I get decent enough connection from the router across the living room to the SageTV machine, but less than 50% in the hobby room. Buying all new wireless N for everything is more costly, and isn't adding value to my house. Hardwire networking will hopefully, unless WiMax or Wireless N gets superceded by something even better.

I'm convinced that the slow/yellow problem has to do with certain map elements. Because I've gotten it running a LAN play-test of a new map before, and I've gotten it where it lasts exactly the duration of a single map on Ghillie's and others' servers.

Thursday night is Survivor so my wife won't be on the computer. Besides, my Joint Ops playing workstation is the only real workstation. The one in the hobby room is mounted over a standing height workbench. Others online is not a problem, other than possibly others playing on the Wiley's Wild West server while I'm trying to play on Ghillie School. I'll probably take WWW off of NovaLogic unless we are going to use it.

What about a mumble or teamspeak server? Should I install one of those as a backup?

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

Once I got basic OS and networking settings on the Joint Ops box, I'm doing the rest of the build via RDP. Installing AVG Free as we type.

Anonymous

I had the same problem with my D-Link wireless G setup (Turbo G @ 108 mbps). I opted for a new router from them and got some seriouse boosted performance. The router isn't a “home” router but a business router with QOS support. My connection throughout boosted almost 50% at my farthest area.

Here is a link just in case.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=493

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

I'm telling you Wiley Hire Shock as your geek, he'll set you up! :comp

Anonymous

LOL. He isn't just my neighbor…he is also my PIMP!

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

I'd have certainly paid you to crawl through a hot, fiberglass insulation ridden attic space to run cable…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.