New Guts

Home Forums PC Talk PC Talk/Mods New Guts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GARGOYLE-URGARGOYLE-UR
    Keymaster

Ok, I'm finally building a new computer. I'm sick and tired of getting lag when everyone else is ok. I've tried a different video card, different NIC, even took it over to Fubar's and use his 12MB connection, but still got lag. I figure it has to be either the motherboard, cpu or RAM. So, its time to upgrade.

I'm not made of money like Fubar and Shock. :p So, no fancy case, cpu fan, etc, etc, etc.

Same old case I have now.
    Intel DQ965GFEKR
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Kingston 2GB – 2 x KVR800D2N5/1G (DDR2 800MHz)
    SeaGate SATAII 80GB
    Sony DVD+/-RW (DL) with software
    Then one of these two:
    GeForce 7100GS PCIE 256MB
    GeForce 7600GS PCIE 512MB

Anonymous

OK, I know your not made of money, but from what you said…

“…I figure it has to be either the motherboard, cpu or RAM”

Wouldn't it be cheaper to run some tests to see which is the problem and FIX the problem? RAM is a simple test, same for CPU, board..little more time but possibly worth it. Question, is your CPU at the max for that board or can you still go higher? How much RAM are you running now? Cost-wise I would go for the fix. But if your just in the mood to build a system then remember, you get what you pay for and can very well end up right where you are now. So here is some advice for the system your building (keeping in mind you DO know computers)…

Memory – Go with the Corsair, it works better than the Kingston (better, high quality chips), they are better on their RMA's (should something go wrong with it) and it's cheaper suprisingly! I tried dealing with Kingston before and had a hell of a time with them. Slow _ RMA's. And I haven't had too much luck with ther RAM holding up to any major abuse. Guess it's all on how you will be using your system. FYI – $160 get's you the same RAM as Fubar and I and thats next day delivery with tax from Frys.com.

Hard drive – Why an 80 gig? Bag your lunch for a couple weeks and get a 320gig for $100. You won't have to add another hard drive later or deal with not having enough space. Plus all the “high speed” drives or “RAID” labeled drives aren't worth the money unless your screen name is FATAL1TY! (look it up if you don't understand).

DVD – Scrap the Sony and get an HP DVD80i like I got for $40 (it's black, only problem…maybe). It's a dual layer DVD RAM drive that also has Lighscribe should you want to use it. Save a couple bucks here and put it towards your graphics card. HP's don;t have trouble like other drives writing to different brand medias. They pretty much will write/read anything.

Graphics – BFG, and go with the 7600 GT OC or the 7900 GS OC. They both have mail in rebates right now which drop the price by $30 or $50. I have used their RMA and they are fast. Plus they will ship you an RMA card without you sending yours in first. Takes about 3 days to get your replacment! FYI, they are about $95 -$170.

Bottom line, get something that is going to last and hold up with a decent warranty and tech support!

As for your case, just spend the $50 and get another one. If you decide later to find out what was wrong with your old system at least you'll be able to use it. Cases arent expensive anymore. You can get a decent tower cheap.

FYI – from shopping around, I built my system for $2,100 and thats with shipping and tax. Take out the little extra stuff (lcd screen wire wrapping, cables) and it was done for about $1,750. Let's see DELL do that!

Good luck on your build! Let me know if you need any help!

:kudo

GARGOYLE-URGARGOYLE-UR
    Keymaster

Deep breath……..in………..out………

Lets start from the top:

Quote:
    cheaper to run some tests

Yes and no. I'm currently running a P4 2.8 and my board can go up to a 3.4, but it is getting harder and harder to get P4 CPUs because Intel is phasing them out. They will be completly phased out by Q3 of this year. Support for the P4 will soon follow. Next, I can't just swap out the motherboard. I would have to reload my system or at the very least do a repair installation of Windows. And there goes my time. I would have to purchase a new CPU, which cannot be returned and CPUs go for about $200 to $300 bucks. I could swap out the RAM, but then there is more of my time and I'm guessing that won't fix the problem. Time is money and I don't have much free time as it is now. So, I don't want to blow the $200-$300 bucks, reload my system and drive back and forth to the store to get and return RAM.

Quote:
    Memory

Corsair is good RAM, but so is Kingston. If you look at any compairson chart you will see this is true. And for the record, they use the same chips. We, Solutionetics, use nothing but Kingston. They are in 100% of all of our clients workstations and servers. And in the 5 years I have been working at Solutionetics, I have had to RMA 7 modules. I always get the chips up front so my client doesn't have an down time while waiting to swap them out. Kingston also comes with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Its also nice that Kingston is in Fountain Valley, right next to Fry's. I can go pick it up or have them ship it to me.
    The motherboard I'm getting is a brand new release from Intel and Kingston and Crucial are the only memory manifactures that have been certified to work with that board. And since Crucial is just plan blood expensive, I'm going with Kingston.

Quote:
    Hard drive

Don't need 320 GB I have an 80 GB now and less then half of it is full. Plus I'm planing on doing a RAID 1 with the two drives.

Quote:
    DVD

Same thing with Memory. We use Sony optical drives on all our systems. Well almost all our systems. The other is Teac. In the 5 years, I can think of maybe 4 Optical drives. And on a side note: I HATE HP comptuers and Compaq for that matter. I have had nothing but problems with there computers. They make great printers, but sucky computers and computer components.

Quote:
    Graphics

I'll look into those two. The reason I listed the other two above is because I can get the 7100GS for $60 and the 7600GS for $140.

Quote:
    FYI – from shopping around, I built my system for $2,100 and thats with shipping and tax. Take out the little extra stuff (lcd screen wire wrapping, cables) and it was done for about $1,750. Let's see DELL do that!

Mine is going to cost me about $800 bucks. ;)

Fubar-URFubar-UR
    Keymaster

:ouch

Anonymous

:ouch ?????

Why ouch. He had some good points but to me it sounds like you are just making an excuse to build a new system. Now don't get me wrong I'm not looking to fire off at the mouth and start an argument. So before you get upset just read. This is a forum of course and it's used for discussions, and all I am doing is discussing.

So the part I find confusing is you said…

“I can't just swap out the motherboard. I would have to reload my system or at the very least do a repair installation of Windows. And there goes my time.”

Isn't your time going to be “wasted” even if you build a new system? Wouldn't more time be wasted on a new system since you will have to load OS, drivers, software and then restore any additional items (favorites, backups, etc). Wouldn't it be the same amount of time at the least?

Now as for RAM, what did you use before? Was it not KINGSTON? I would have assumed you would have used that and wouldn't it carry the warranty still? Easy fix there. What type/speed was it? I have some extra chips as do a couple people I know. Want to swap it and test it? Takes about 30 minutes. And have you even run a memory diagnostic test to see if the RAM is bad? Won;t even waste your time with that, it can run while you sleep….rssults when you wake.

CPU….hmmm..couple of tests can prove it wrong, and I think those CPU's can still be found quite a bit for about $100 – $150. And most places have a 30 day warranty on CPU's or extended warranties available as well as the DOA garuntee. Hell, pick up a system pull for $50 on eBay or see if you can find a system pull. If you can't let me know. I still know some IT guys who can maybe get you one.

Reason I am questioning is it seems that you WANT a new system and not resolving your problems with your old system provides the excuse for it (excuse isn't the word I want but my brain is fried). I'm sure you spent some decent money on your old/current system and I just think it would be a shame to not even try to fix it when it's not hard or time consuming to find the problem or fix it. It would be like just throwing money away.

So to end. If you are just in the mood to build a new system then say, “damn it I want a new computer!” and we will all completly understand.

If you computer isn't working and you don't have the money or time to spend then maybe see about fixing it and or asking others to help. I am more than willing to help you find the problem and save you some money. Look at it this way, your new system is gonna run you $800. If it were something as simple as a board you could save yourself $500 or more. If it's the processor or RAM…maybe $400 savings. Still though, savings is savings and you could always re-invest it back into your current system. More RAM, better CPU, better graphics card…and still have money left over!

Personally, I didn't need to build a new system. My old one was working fine with the typical XP hiccups. But as I do I build a new system every 4-5 years. Just so happened also my dads system was old and out of date. Prefect timing. He gets a lot better system than what he had and I got mine.

OK, time to get off my soapbox. If you need help with the old lady of a box let me know. I would be more than willing to help. If your gonna build a new system knock yourself out…again help is here for that if you want it!

surrender.gif

GARGOYLE-URGARGOYLE-UR
    Keymaster

I'm not sure what Fu is saying ouch to. What I said, your price tag on your system or the joking insult I said in the first post about him?

Quote:
    Wouldn't it be the same amount of time at the least?

Yes, but if I'm going to spend the time, I would rather spend it towards a new system then trying to put a band-aid over this one.

Yes, I am currently using Kingston and I have run a memory tester with no bad results. I'm trying to remember off hand what it is….400MHz, 2 x 512MB DDR, I think.

Actually you are correct on the CPU price. They are going for about $100 bucks. I was thinking of the Core 2 Duo. D'oh. :lame

I wouldn't mind so much fixing the issue, but my wife needs a new computer (she is running a P4 1.7GHz system) So, to kill two birds with one stone. I'll build a new system for me and she will get my old one. But looking at CPU prices, I may upgrade her to a 3.4

Thank you for your input and your offer for help, but all I do all day long at work is troubleshoot and fix comptuer problems. I have learned there is such a thing as diminishing returns. And the real trick is to reconize when that is going to happen before you put the time and money in, so that you save yourself from it.

Anonymous

Well if you intend to do nothing with your old system talk to me about buying it from you perhaps. My uncle up in Oregon needs a system and I have an extra case (not pretty but functional, basic). I just don't like to see things go to waste, and that system isn't that far out of date.

Freeman….out!

;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.