My mumbling problem

Home Forums PC Talk Software My mumbling problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LONEEAGLE-UR
    Keymaster

After much frustration, I think I have my lag problem nailed down. Many of you might notice during the game my ping is constantly changing yellow/red and back to green. Normally, if I turn off mumble I can stay green well enough to play the game. There was no correlation to game/voice activity to the lag cause. Sometimes I just turn off mumble and play the game. I tried tweaking mumble settings, turn off overlay, turn off TTS but the lag always seems to come, also I disable A/V just in case that is causing it. After reading this thread http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? … _id=492607 I see that I am not alone. I downloaded the checker tool (found in the thread) and sure enough the Deferred Procedure Call latency is spiking and I believe it has to do with the WLAN drivers, with the WLAN disabled the checker tool shows all green. Maybe next week I will try to play hard wired and see if that helps.

If any of you are experiencing similar lag problems you may want to read the thread above.

Lone

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

Lone glad to hear you might have a solution keep us informed on your outcome.

I owuld never think of playing wireless, but I know Gargoyle used to.

Shok you have more problems than I can shake a stick at :comp :true

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

Lone,
    Neither your post, nor the thread that you link to really explains what changes you are making to improve your system performance.

Can you expound?

LONEEAGLE-UR
    Keymaster
    WILEY COYOTE-UR @ Jan 4 2008, 07:00 PM wrote:
    Can you expound?

In my case the DPC lag was caused by WLAN drivers, in some cases it could be caused by other drivers not behaving properly. I already have the latest drivers from HP, (April 2005). So next week I will try to play hardwired into my router instead of wireless.

It appears that there is some relationship between mumble and DPC.

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

So I'd have to download that latency tool to determine if I'm having the same problems huh?

Might be worth it…

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

Running Mumble and DPClat.exe along with firefox and thunderbird, it never cracked into the yellow or red.

But I'll have to check when there's actual dataflow through mumble.

Does DPClat.exe actually show you the cause or source? Looked to me it was a latency or no latency check only.

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster
    SHOKTRONIC-UR @ Jan 5 2008, 07:13 PM wrote:
    It only gives you a visual reference of latency. It's not a diagnostic. For that you would have to go old school and start shutting down stuff or removing it/unplug it.

There are a lot of things that can cause latency problems from your cable/dsl modem to your router and then into your PC. Also having your computers networked can also cause some lag down issues depending if you have things like disk cache turned on for large folders or shortcuts to othr PC's. Each computer is going to be effected differently depending on the hardware and OS setup.

Now in Wileys case it has to be something on his system. Last week I was watching his “ping” and his stayed the lowest out of everyone suprisingly. He never cracked 100 and lowest I saw was 37 for him. Everyone else was average around 160-250. Most of us people here in CA were the higher numbers because of distance. The AZ folks were around the 106 numbers. Suprisingly too is Wiley had a lower ping than Ghillie but that might be explained by all the computers Ghillie has running eating up bandwidth perhaps.

You need to spend more time playing than watching everyones ping

GHILLIE-UR
    Keymaster

Hmmm…let's see: Ghillie School, http://www.tankerstinkering.com website, Wolfrat to 250 of my closest friends.

My Ghillie School connections go out my network and then back in again.

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster
    GHILLIE-UR @ Jan 5 2008, 08:43 PM wrote:
    Hmmm…let's see: Ghillie School, http://www.tankerstinkering.com website, Wolfrat to 250 of my closest friends.

My Ghillie School connections go out my network and then back in again.

You have friends? :kudo

LONEEAGLE-UR
    Keymaster
    WILEY COYOTE-UR @ Jan 5 2008, 11:09 AM wrote:
    Does DPClat.exe actually show you the cause or source? Looked to me it was a latency or no latency check only.

Shockey is right on about shutting stuff off and finding it the old fashioned way. You should not confuse this type of lag with network lag. DPC lag can occur without anything to do with network. If you stayed in the green while running DPClat.exe than you can safely eliminate misbehaving drivers as a source of lag.

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

I don't think its probably even network related, since I have specific problems with specific maps. I'm gonna have to start recording which ones.
    I've seen nights where I was in the green all night till a single map puts me in the red, then next map, back to green.

Ghillie has friends, but his count seems high. ;)

Fubar-UR
    Keymaster

I run a onboard gigaport NIC and have AVG full suite edition and have no problems

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

I dropped Norton with 3 months left of my 12 I paid for because the system lag was so bad. With NOTHING else running but XP, it was using around 15 – 30% proc time.

I've had no problems with AVG free, and browsing only with Firefox. My email provider has a pretty hefty spam filter too. (fourbucks.net)

The fact that my internet connection only bogs down on certain maps, and never outside of JO:E (that's noticable anyway) suggests it's not the card. I've streamed NetFlix instant watch with no problems.

GARGOYLE-UR
    Keymaster

I would look more at your video card, ram or fsb

WILEY COYOTE-UR
    Keymaster

Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD Model MS-7060
    Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    Chipset Model SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
    South Bridge PCI to ISA Bridge

Phoenix – AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Intel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.